THE BLUE FLAGS FLYING IN MAJORCA AND IBIZA IN 2018
No fewer than 67 Blue Flags will be flying in the marinas and on the beaches of the Balearic Islands, certifying the quality of the water, the environmental management systems, safety and services, as well as the standard of the information and education provided. Majorca has been awarded a total of 32 flags and Ibiza 7.
Blue Flags are granted by an international panel of judges to those beaches that meet a series of legal, accessibility, health, cleanliness and safety criteria and which have also implemented appropriate information and environmental management systems. The programme was set up by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) in France in 1982 and today is applied on a worldwide scale.
The aims of the Blue Flag programme are to ensure sustainable tourism development, environmental management and to reward conservation efforts on beaches or in marinas.
On Majorca, the following beaches have been received this accolade:
- In Palma: Cala Major and Cala Estancia.
- Es Carregador, Palmanova, Son Maties, Illetes, Cala Contesa and Peguera Torà in the town of Calvià.
- In Andratx, Sant Elm.
- Cala Molins, Cala Barques and Formentor in Pollença.
- In the north of the island, the beaches of Playa de Muro, Can Picafort, Son Bauló and Son Serra de Marina.
Can Picafort beach, 50 m from the THB Gran Playa hotel.
- In Capdepera: Cala Agulla, Canyamel, Cala Mesquida and Font de Sa Cala
- Cala Millor-Son Servera and Es Ribell in Son Servera
- In Sant Llorenç des Cardassar, the beaches of Cala Millor and Sa Coma
Sa Coma beach, 10 m from the THB Sa Coma Platja hotel
- Cala Marçal, Cala Ferrera, Porto Colo-Platja S’Arenal and Cala Sa Nau in Felanitx
- Cala Gran, Cala Mondragó-Sa Font de n’Alís and Cala Santanyí in Santanyí.
- And finally, Es Dolç-Es Port in Ses Salines.
The following marinas in Majorca have also been granted this award:
- In the city of Palma de Mallorca, Mallorca Marina Port, Palma Royal Yacht Club and Marina Palma Cuarentena
- CN S’Arenal in Llucmajor.
- Colonia Sant Jordi Port in Ses Salines
- Cala D’ Or Marina, Cala Figuera Port and the Portopetro Royal Yacht Club in Santanyí.
- Cala Bona Port in Son Servera.
- Cala Ratjada Port in Capdepera.
- AlcudiaMar Leisure and Sports Marina in Alcudia.
AlcudiaMar Leisure, photo by AlcudiaMar
- Port de Sóller
- Port d’Andratx Yacht Club
- Porto Colom in Felanitx.
- Porto Cristo Port
- Port de Pollença.
Here is the list of the seven beaches on Ibiza that have been awarded a Blue Flag:
- Es Figueral, Cala Llenya, Cala Llonga and Es Canar, in the municipality of Santa Eulària des Riu
Cala Llenya, photo by Solo Ibiza
- Arenal Gran de Portinatx, Cala Benirrás and Cala Sant Vicent in Sant Joan de Labritja.
San Vicente, photo by Solo Ibiza
If you still haven’t made up your mind where to spend your summer holiday, the Balearic Islands are the ideal choice for discovering Europe’s finest beaches. Select your THB hotels on Mallorca or Ibiza, next to the 2018 Blue Flag beach you find most appealing for an idyllic dream holiday filled with truly memorable experiences.