15 ACTIONS FOR BLUE SKIES AND CLEAN AIR
The United Nations has declared 7th September the International Day of Clean Air for blue skies.
In a pollution-free world where climate change simply doesn’t exist, there would be no need for International Days such as this one to raise humanity’s awareness of harmful actions and practices. However, in our modern-day age, they are more important than ever.
We know that it is essential to care for our planet every day of the year, which is why we work constantly to ensure that our footprint has the lowest possible impact.
This post suggests 15 actions you can take in your daily lives to protect the air and enjoy blue skies:
- Avoid using your car whenever possible. Move around by bicycle, public transport or on foot. And if these three options aren’t practical, why not carpool?
- Use electricity, gas and fuel responsibly and efficiently. Take advantage of the hours of sunlight and only switch on the lights when it is necessary.
- Carry out regular maintenance on heaters, air conditioning and heating systems, gas boilers, etc.
- Consume clean products, made using environmentally-friendly technologies.
- Respect and care for nature. This includes not only forests and the countryside, but also green spaces in towns and cities. They are the ‘lungs’ of our planet, and absorb CO2.
- If you have sufficient space, plant one or more trees. They carry out vital functions such as reducing air pollution, as well as climate, thermal and hydrological regulation.
- If you make a campfire, make sure you put it out completely and take great care to prevent forest fires.
- If you need to buy a car, choose a low fuel consumption, hybrid or electric model.
- Take your car for an annual service to make sure that it does not exceed pollution limits.
- Adopt the three Rs: Recycle, Reduce and Reuse. This will not only cut down on the amount of waste on the planet, but will also contribute to cleaner skies. By taking advantage of the resources available, you will make a real contribution to reducing manufacturing processes that generate harmful gases that damage our atmosphere.
- At home, use low consumption light bulbs. They generate the same amount of light but are energy efficient.
- Use low consumption electrical appliances. When purchasing a new model, make sure you read the energy label carefully. It tells you how much energy the appliance consumes and its efficiency class.
- Don’t waste water: Take a shower instead of a bath, turn off the taps whilst washing dishes or cleaning your teeth…Simple recommendations that help to save water.
- Consume sustainable foods and don’t include too much meat in your diet to prevent food overproduction and reduce emissions.
- Avoid using single use or non-biodegradable plastics.
Over to you: What actions do you take every day for clean air and blue skies?
THB hotels has a strong commitment to caring for the environment. Visit the news section on our website and discover the numerous actions we take to protect our planet.
You may also be interested in: CABRERA: SPAIN’S LARGEST NATURE PARK AND SANCTUARY